Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008 Newbery Medal Winner


Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
by Laura Amy Schlitz

The student who is fascinated with history would sure love to read this award winning book. The book is a novel with seventeen monologues written through verse and prose about the European Middle Ages circa 1255. With twenty three main characters, all with distinct personalities, the reader can feel and get to know this era through the eyes of each character. Short historical notes located on the margin are perfect for discussions for teachers with thier students.

I am not in history, whatsoever, however I enjoyed reading this novel because of its beautiful illustrations and I felt like I got to know that era through the eyes of each of its characters. This would be an excellent asset for a history teacher to read-aloud to thier students. I reccomend this book to any history teacher.

No comments: