Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 Notable Books for Children



My Colors, My World by Maya Gonzalez


Maya is a young Latina girl who is very bored where she lives. She lives in the Mojave Desert, with sand all around her. Sure there are beautiful skies, colorful cactus, and some flowers but she just can’t seem to appreciate what she has surrounding her. Using her artistic sense and with the help of her companion, a purple bird, Maya soon starts to notice the color in the small things that surround her. She notices the darkness in her father’s shiny hair, the bright purple in her mother’s blooming flowers, and even the pink shades in her clothes. She also notices the pink and orange tones in the sunset, the green cactus that surround her, the orange marigolds, and even the purple irises with their yellow pollen. Maya’s world has suddenly come to color and she learns to better appreciate her surroundings in an instant, thanks to her companion. I loved this book because it is a bilingual book. It reminds me of when I was a young girl and my aunt would read her own bilingual book s to us. Of course, she hadn’t even published her books but we loved them. A couple of years ago her bilingual books were published and she is still writing more. I can just imagine what one’s life would be living in a lusterless desert. I guess you have to be artistic and playful just like Maya was. The illustrations in this book were so bold that my daughters’ eyes were completely enthralled. She is learning her colors so this book was a great in helping her learn them.

No comments: