Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 Notable Books for Children


Fred Stays with Me by Nancy Coffett

This is the story of a young girl whose parents are going through a divorce, making her travel between houses. Wherever she goes she takes her companion, Fred, who seems to be a nuisance to both parents. He gets into everything he sees and barks at unknown dogs and her parents are getting impatient. However, she tells them "Fred stays with me", leading them to realize that Fred is her companion who will never be taken away.

This book is full of wonderful illustrations and the text is very simple to read. It is written in first person narrative, which can help readers' connect more with the main character. I did enjoy reading this book but it wasn't one I could read with my daughter because then she would start to wonder why the parents live apart. She is only 5 and I don't think she needs to know what divorce is.

No comments: